Are you getting a self-storage facility for the first time? Simply Self Storage is here to make your first self storage experience (and the next ones) easy and enjoyable.
First, let’s talk about self storage. Self storage is a way for you to make the most out of your current space. You may have extra furniture and other personal items that you don’t regularly use but would rather not throw away. You can store these at a self storage facility to free up the space in your home or office.
One key advantage with self storage is that you hold the key to your unit – you can access it without having to call the property manager to ask him to open the unit for you. You can also use self storage when you are renovating your home or moving out into another location.
Some self-storage considerations
Next, let’s talk about some of the options available so that you can decide which options are best for you.
Climate-controlled units. Extreme temperatures may cause damage to your stored items. If these are exposed to too much heat, some of the materials may come out warped and distorted. Frost and humidity may cause rusting in some metal fixtures and equipment. You can also expect electronics and photographs to be affected by extreme temperatures. Climate controlled storage ensure that the temperature inside the unit are consistent. Items that should be stored in a climate-controlled unit will include furs (which you want to keep cool), computers, home furnishings, linens, electronic, pianos and other musical instruments and antiques.
Choosing the unit for you. It is important that you pick the right size so that you don’t cram all your belongings for storage in a small space. You don’t also want to pay for a large unit when you won’t use all of the available space. Simply Self Storage can help by providing you with a size picker.
Storing your things. Self storage means that you will be the one to deliver your things to the facility and store them the way you want. It will be advisable to have most of the items inside their boxes and that all of these are properly labelled.
Using boxes. Don’t just put labels on the top of the box or one side of it. To ensure that you can readily see what each box contains, place labels containing the list of contents on all four sides of the box as well as at the top. Also, be sure that the bottoms of the boxes are securely taped so prevent the box’s contents from falling out. It is also advisable to use uniform boxes to make it easier for you to stack the boxes.
Storing. Store the materials that you will least likely use at the back portion of your storage unit. Make sure that the materials you will need now and then are easily accessible. You should also make aisles so that you can get to all the boxes without having to take out the boxes in front. Heavier boxes should be at the bottom.
Here are other dos and don’ts when using self-storage:
- Do use plastic sheets, tarps and pallets on the floor of your unit. This will keep the boxes stored at the bottom from getting wet in case water and moisture get into your unit. This is particularly true if your unit is on the ground floor.
- Do use shelving. This will make storage more efficient and organized.
- Do pack enough material inside boxes. If you pack too little, the box may be crushed and if you pack too much into the box, this may cause the box to bulge. If a box still has space but you don’t know what else to put inside, try packing the box with Styrofoam peanuts.
- Do leave stored refrigerators open to prevent mold and mildew from appearing.
- Do cover box springs and mattresses with cloth.
- Do remove the oil from machines before you store them. This will add another level of safety to your stored materials.
- Don’t pack boxes and items against the wall. To avoid mildew and mold from appearing, place the boxes at least one inch away from the wall. This will give the items enough ventilation.
- Don’t wrap items with plastic – moisture tends to get trapped inside the plastic and may damage your items.
Simply Self Storage provides security by having monitoring, gated access and video surveillance. You can also rent moving trucks through us. Simply Self Storage has facilities in various locations. Do visit the website to search for Philadelphia storage, Minneapolis storage, Chicago self storage, Boston self storage, Indianapolis self storage and other key locations in various states.